Friday, July 23, 2010

Pregnancy Recomendations

A few friends are pregnant with their first baby and have asked me things that I would recommend for the baby and birth. So, I compiled some lists. I may add to these as I remember more but for now this is what I have.


Pregnancy Things:


If you get Morning sickness really bad they can put you on Zoloft 4mg. It helps a great deal! Sickness is a good sign that everything is going great inside! Don’t worry if you don’t have it though, it could just be your body adjusts well to all the hormones.

Take your prenatal at night because it will help with the sickness feeling. A lot of people get sick because of those pills. Some women switch to Flintstones vitamins. I just took the generic Target brand.


You should be drinking about 64oz of water a day. Once you start getting further along you’ll wake up at night to pee. TO help with the frequency try to stop drinking around 6ish or a couple hours before your bedtime.


For the first 3 months up till 12/13weeks you don’t need extra calories. After that you should only need an extra 300. This is like a cup of cereal, some milk and a banana. So, not really much! L


Avoid caffeine for the first trimester and the first part of the second. It dose not do well with the developing lungs and brain. They also say it could cause miscarriages, but there really isn’t a lot of information leaning that way. I eroded on the side of caution. After the 1st ½ of the2nd trimester 200mg(12oz) is ok.

Leg Cramps/Charlie Horses: I had a lot of these. There was even one time I woke up screaming because of one. Start eating a banana a day. Make it a snack or something just get a banana a day.


I bought one of those boppy body pillows. It was nice up till 25-30ish weeks. After that nothing was comfortable.


If you are going to do a 3d ultrasound (loved mine!) the best time is between 28-32weeks. Some place will offer a package deal if you do gender and another one later. You just have to check the place out.

When picking a doctor I would find one that I like that also delivers at a hospital with a NICU.

Stay away from fish…mercury is bad! If you need to eat some Google: Safe fish to eat while pregnant.


Stretch Marks…well sorry to say I never found anything that worked! I tried everything. My sister swore by Vitamin E oil and wrapping her belly at night with plastic wrap. I couldn't handle smelling like a taco. I just found a lotion that helped with the itching.


Take it easy…you dont realize it but it doesn't take much to get things into a bad place.

If you plan on breastfeeding I highly recommend the Medela pumps. They are expensive, but if you can start now by putting $20 away you will be able to afford it.

Also another money saving idea…old fashioned but it is also becoming the new fad. Start buying cloth diapers. They are totally different from what they used to be. They have liners that you just stuff into the cover. It is a lot of money up front, but you will save in the end. If I would have thought about this before we would have been doing cloth diapering (CDing). Google: Cloth Diapers there are so many now. They are spendy like $20ish for one diaper but they will last you for multiple children.

My favorite website was www.babycenter.com I found my birth board (November 2009 birth club). All the ladies on there were great. I got close with some of them and we are still close today.

No comments:

Post a Comment